Bendigo Law Courts
Delivering accessible, culturally sensitive, and responsive justice to Bendigo and the wider Loddon-Mallee region, the Bendigo Law Courts is the first Victorian court to integrates a full suite of specialist courts including family violence and Koori courts. It’s also the first with dedicated circulation reserved for vulnerable persons and separate remote witness and safe waiting facilities.
Combining warm, natural colours and textures, acoustics and scenic outlooks to welcome all, diminish tension, and dignify the experience of attending court. Surfaces, materials and textures derived from traditions of the Dja Dja Wurrung People and other crafts and trades of the region, are evident. Artworks around and within the building fabric imbue a sense of place and gravitas.
The facade features wedge tailed eagle Bunjil soaring high in recognition of the role Bunjil represents, overseeing law and people's conduct on country in the culture of the Traditional Owners. The paved forecourt symbolizes a smoking ceremony greets users.
Designed to pandemic conditions, the latest technology and infrastructure enable remote hearings, evidence display, video conferencing, and live streaming for optimum operational efficiency and user experiences.
Shaped through strong partnerships with Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation and Court Services Victoria, the building contributes to the civic revitalisation of Bendigo's city precinct. Through the site’s connections to its built and cultural heritage, the building becomes part of, and for, the community.
- Traditional Custodians of the land Dja Dja Wurrung people of the Kulin Nation
- Project Team Bunjil designed in collaboration with Dja Dja Wurrung, Barapa Barapa and Boon WuBunjil designed in collaboration with Dja Dja Wurrung, Barapa Barapa and Boon Wurrung artist Racquel Kerr
- Client Court Services Victoria
- Location Bendigo, Victoria
- Project Duration 2018 – 2023
- Selected Awards
- Commendation for Public Architecture, National Architecture Awards, 2023
- The William Wardell Award for Public Architecture, AIA Victorian Architecture Awards, 2023
- Commendation, Sustainable Architecture. AIA Victorian Architecture Awards, 2023